Sunday, May 8, 2011

We Live Our Lives Like We're Calling a Bluff and All These Miles are not Enough

When you're given a night in which you have the whole house and a spunky second grader all to yourself, what do you do?

I had a few ideas.


I decided to try and give Bethany a fun night to remember by giving her a mini makeover, complete with make-up, an up do, and a photoshoot in one of my old prom dresses. 


She ate up every second of it. 

As I was twirling piece after piece of black, shiny hair around the curling iron, I felt the familiar feeling of deja vu flood my senses. Even though I was only primping an 8 year old, the season and the time of day made me feel like I was getting ready to send Bethany off to prom. I remembered how every event in high school, be it homecoming or prom, I sat exactly where she was sitting in my parent's huge bathroom getting my own golden hair curled before slipping into a fancy dress and heading off to take pictures with my friends. 

As the memories invaded my consciousness in droves, I began to think to the future to when Bethany and Marissa will be getting primped and polished for their own big high school shebangs. I imagined my mom and me as a team in giving each of them a glamorous make-over and watching with a smile as they posed for pictures with their friends and dates. 

It was in this mental flashforward that I realized that once I graduate from college, there is no way that I can live far away from my family. I have said for years that I want to live in a huge city  after college, and have recently added warm temperature to my  requirements for a future home (Big city + Warmth = Tampa, FL or Atlanta, GA). But, being hundreds of miles away from home would mean missing out on many major milestones in my little sister's lives. Since they are still young, there are so many exciting things they have yet to experience that come with growing up. I am not planning on missing out on seeing each of them off to their first day of high school, first homecoming dance, first date (AFTER I make sure the dude is up to my standards), first time at the wheel, first soccer game as a varsity player, you name it. 

So, I told my parents today that, upon graduating from college, I'm either going to have to sacrifice my warm, big city dreams and move somewhere back in Ohio or they are going to have to sacrifice cold Ohio to move to the warm, big city in which I plan to reside. Sounds like a pretty easy decision to me. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment