When I awoke this morning, I had a giant, hairy spider staring at me from the wall by my bed. And such was the start to April 26, 2011, the last square unmarked on my calendar before the day my freshman year of college officially comes to a close. A surreal day to say the least.
I took three finals today, and was a stressed out mess until about 11:55 pm. That's when the fun began. To celebrate our last night as freshmen, Hannah, Liz and I strolled out of Shatford with a bottle of sparkling berry lemonade, plastic wine glasses, and chocolate chip cookie monstrosities in our hands. We set off for the Bowman hammocks, only to find ourselves walking directly behind the portrait of the awkward IWU couple. The girl entertained us by loudly singing and dancing to a Grace Kelly song. Was she aware that three people were walking directly behind her? Probably. Did it make for a moment when the four of us (I'm including her helpless boyfriend in this) questioned the reality of life? Absolutely.
At midnight, Liz, Hannah and I toasted to our year. Summer begins for me today at 11 a.m, which is less than 12 hours away. Tonight felt like a summer night, laying on the hammock with two of my best friends, and just like our sparkling lemonade, the night proved to be bittersweet. Tonight marks the end of another year, another chapter coming to a close. I'm another year older, and another year closer to growing up. Yet despite the sadness of leaving friends and memories behind, so many future adventures are right at my fingertips, I can just feel it.
I guess sometimes reality lies in the moments we find the most surreal.
No comments:
Post a Comment